You will be no stranger to the blazing sun and hot, humid days if you reside in Singapore. Apart from making one feel sluggish and bothered, this perpetual blanket of warm air also presents a challenge to anyone trying to maintain silky and spotless skin.
How does the hot and humid weather affect your skin? And what can you do to battle the resulting skin woes? Let’s dive into these issues below.
How hot and humid weather affects our skin
Singapore’s weather is a double whammy for skin concerns: the air is not just warm, but it also has high moisture content. This spells trouble for the skin due to the excess sweat and oils that the body produces in this type of climate.
Sweat and oil are the biggest culprits causing clogged pores which may result in pore inflammation and/or acne flare-ups.
Heat and humidity cause our bodies to produce more sweat in a bid to cool down, higher temperatures also further exacerbate excess oil production by kicking our oil-producing sebaceous glands into overdrive. To make matters worse, the balmy tropical climate of Singapore also provides the perfect environment for acne causing bacteria to thrive and multiply. This includes cutibacterium acnes (C. acnes), the acne-causing bacteria that live on our skin.
Then there is the ever-present temptation to touch our faces – be it to wipe off sweat or brush off hair stuck to the face. This act can potentially introduce dirt and grime onto the skin. They can aggravate any skin troubles that have been starting to brew.
Taking care of your skin in hot and humid weather
For the daily upkeep of skin health, we recommend a few actions to reduce the chances of acne flaring up due to the hot and humid weather.
- Cleanse day and night: Your skin produces sebum even at night. Thus, cleanse twice a day to keep your skin free from dirt and excess oil. It is most beneficial to choose a gentle cleanser that won’t strip off your skin’s natural barrier. A product we recommend is the Clifford Oil Control Facial Wash. It is effective in treating and controlling acne on the face as well as the chest and back.
- Choose light makeup formulations: Select lighter oils or water-based cosmetic products. These are less likely to clog your pores. They also feel lighter on the skin.
- Exfoliate two to three times a week: This deep cleanse for your skin removes stubborn dirt and dead skin cells. It unclogs your pores and gives you a more radiant glow.
- Use oil-controlling products: Products with oil-controlling ingredients like niacinamide and salicylic acid help to reduce and manage oil production. This is especially useful for those with oily skin types. The Clifford Balancing Facial Cream is a recommended product to consider. It is a suitable moisturizer for skin that is prone to acne.
Recommended treatments for weather-worn skin
Suppose your skin is already plagued by acne troubles caused by the hot and humid weather. In that case, we suggest seeking help from a dermatologist who can diagnose and recommend the best acne treatments in Singapore for you. Some treatments that are useful for treating acne flare-ups include the HydraFacial Deep Pore Cleansing treatment and laser acne treatments such as the Q-Switch Laser and VBeam Laser treatment.
- HydraFacial deep pore cleansing
The HydraFacial is a no-pain, zero downtime facial that produces proven results without the need for painful extractions. The facial begins with cleansing and exfoliation to remove dead skin cells, followed by an acid peel to loosen up clogged pores. Then, there is an extraction via a vortex suction method that is virtually painless. Finally, a special blend of hydrating and nourishing products is applied to the skin to strengthen and protect the skin. This leaves you with healthier, more radiant skin.
The treatment only takes 60 minutes to complete in total. It is ideal for individuals who are afraid of needles and knives as it is a non-surgical procedure.
- Acne laser treatments
Laser treatments like the Q-Switch and Vbeam are effective for reducing acne in targeted areas of the body. They work by channeling precise wavelengths to target acne-causing bacteria that reside under the skin, destroying them and preventing further acne breakouts. These laser treatments also reduce inflammation and can be used as an acne scar treatment. At just 10 to 15 minutes per session and zero downtime, Q-Switch and Vbeam are some of the industry’s best laser treatments for acne and acne scar removal treatment today.
Stay cool and spotless with The Clifford Clinic
If the persistent summer weather has made you see red with more frequent acne breakouts and uncomfortably oily skin, it’s time to do something about it. At The Clifford Clinic, we provide a comfortable experience for your acne treatment journey, from our welcoming clinic décor to the trusty expertise of our doctors.
Have other hair, face, or skin-related concerns? From acne removal to hair transplants in Singapore, we are your one-stop center for reliable aesthetic services. Simply book an appointment to consult our aesthetic doctors today!