Can lasers help fight hairloss? New research shows that when lasers are combined with other treatments like injection, they can improve hair thickness and density. Read on to find out more if laser hair rejuvenation is for you!
Why are you losing your hair?
Our hair follows a natural cycle of growth composed of three phases.
- The Anagen Phase is the growth phase, where the hair cells grow faster. This usually lasts 3 to 5 years. Without any haircuts, your hair can grow about 30 inches.
- The Catagen Phase is the transitional phase. The hair stops growing, and the deeper portions of the hair follicle begin to break down. This lasts about 10 to 15 days
- The Telogen Phase is the resting phase. Your hair follicle releases the hair, and doesn’t grow new hair for about 3 months.
Hair follicles go through the phases independently. Some of your hair will be anagen, while others will be in telogen – which is why it’s normal to experience some hairfall every day. A person loses an average of 80 to 100 strands a day.
When does hair loss become abnormal or unhealthy?
Sometimes your hair growth cycle is disrupted by hormonal imbalances, metabolic issues, or very poor nutrition (such as crash diets or extended fasting). This can happen:
- The Anagen Phase is cut short. You notice your hair doesn’t grow as long or as quickly as it used to, or new hairs don’t replace the ones that fall out.
- The Catagen Phase is triggered too soon.
- The Telogen Phase is extended, so there are too many hair follicles that are in this phase at the same time. You may notice an increase in hairfall.
Stimulate your hair growth with lasers
Laser hair rejuvenation helps jumpstart your hair growth cycle. As this study suggests, it can “stimulate anagen re-entry in telogen hair follicles, prolong duration of anagen phase, increase rates of proliferation in active anagen hair follicles and to prevent premature catagen development.”
This means that it stimulate your anagen phase and help it last longer. You keep growing healthy hair, to replace the ones you’ve lost, or help hide thinning.
Can laser hair rejuvenation help with my baldness?
Baldness and thinning hair can be caused by many factors. It’s important to get a personal consultation to find out what’s causing your hair loss, and whether lasers can help reverse it. Schedule your appointment with The Clifford Clinic.