Skin and skin aging
The human skin is divided into three layers: epidermis, dermis and hypodermis.
Support structures like collagen and elastin, which gives the skin structure and helps maintain elasticity and firmness, are found in the dermis layer. As we age, the natural production of collagen and elastin slows down, and the amount of Hyaluronic Acid (HA) in our skin decreases. This can cause the skin to lose elasticity and sag, creating the wrinkly appearance typically associated with old age.
What is Profhilo®?
Profhilo® is a 100% pure HA-based, chemical stabiliser-free product used to treat aging and sagging skin. It is different from all other typical skin fillers and skin boosters as it acts via a new process: bio-remodelling of the collagen and elastin structures in the skin.
How does Profhilo®work?
Profhilo® achieves bio-remodelling of the skin in three main ways.
- The high concentration of HA in Profhilo® stimulates fibroblast cells to increase natural collagen and elastin production in the dermis.
- The HA complexes present in Profhilo® directly provides structure to the skin via a volumetric effect to help reduce sagging.
- Profhilo® improves hydration, preventing the skin from drying out and thus maintaining elasticity.
After being injected into the skin, Profhilo® naturally distributes itself across multiple layers of the skin. This helps in improving skin laxity and hydration from the inside out, giving you a more youthful look. It also stimulates tissue repair processes, which can help in the repair of acne scars.
What results can be expected?
- Firming, tightening and lifting effect on the skin
- Tissue and scarring repair
- Enhanced hydration
- Collagen bio-stimulation
- A quick procedure that takes 30-40 minutes to complete
- Minimal downtime with mild post procedure side effects that usually subside within 1-3 days
Profhilo® comes in individual pre-filled 2ml syringes. Unlike traditional injection techniques, 0.2ml of Profhilo® is carefully injected into several specifically-selected Bio Aesthetic Points (BAPs) on each side of the patient’s face. By administering Profhilo® through only 10 key points on the face, this minimizes risks to blood vessels and nerves while maximising efficacy through diffusion.
Advantages of Profhilo®
- Combines the effects of different types of HA-based treatments
- Contains 100% pure HA with no other chemical additives and stabilising agents
- Profhilo® is long lasting. The effects of Profhilo® typically last for about 9 months to a year
- FDA and CE approved
- Has almost no downtime post-treatment
- Biocompatible design
- Profhilo® has no BDDE cross linking to minimise the risk of lump formation compared to other injectable HA
- Profhilo® not only hydrates the skin, it also provides tightening and rejuvenative effects
What’s the difference between Profhilo® and other products for treating skin aging?
Profhilo® is the first to combine the enhanced hydrating effects and the stronger regenerative effects of different types of HA-based products without the use of additional chemical stabilising agents. This reduces unwanted side effects and makes it far safer compared to other products.
Is the treatment painful?
There may be some minor pain and discomfort during the injection. This should be minimal as the needle used is relatively thin (29g). Other than this, the treatment should be relatively painless.
Is there any downtime after treatment with Profhilo®?
There is usually almost no downtime after treatment with Profhilo® and patients can typically resume their daily activities immediately after the treatment. Patients only need to attend a second follow-up session a month after the initial treatment.
When can I expect to see results?
Patients can expect to see good results usually after their second treatment, which is typically a month after the first session. However, some patients can see results after the first treatment.
Are there any side effects?
Profhilo® has almost no visible side effects as the 100% pure HA used is completely harmless. However, Some may experience mild redness and soreness after the treatment, but these will usually subside in a few hours.
How often is Profhilo® treatment required?
The effects Profhilo® treatment usually last for 6 to 12 months. For the best effects, it is recommended to repeat Profhilo® treatment twice a year.
How do I know if I am suitable for treatment with Profhilo®?
Anyone who is suitable for standard dermal filler treatment is suitable for Profhilo® as it is safer than most other HA-based treatments for skin aging. However, because everyone unique skin conditions, please consult the doctor before commencing treatment.
Can I combine Profhilo® treatment with other treatments/products?
Yes, Profhilo® treatment can be combined with other treatments. However, do inform the doctor of these products/treatments so he can advise accordingly.